Tax Help

Tax Help is a free service providing assistance to complete yearly tax returns for people on low incomes. Qualified volunteers trained by the Australian Taxation Office will be available from July to September.

TAX HELP ELIGIBILITY…..Is your income around $60,000 or less!

During the financial year, did you:

  • Run your own business
  • Operate under a labour hire agreement – quoting your ABN
  • Receive any royalties
  • Receive income from either a public unit trust or a public trading trust
  • Own or share ownership in a rental property
  • Make a capital gain or capital loss by selling shares or other capital assests

If you answer YES to any or all of the questions then refer to the ATO info-line 132 861 for more information.

If you answer NO … Tax Help can help you complete your current tax return.


To prepare your tax return, you must bring the following information (where applicable) to your appointment.

  • myGov user ID (account number) and password
  • your tax file number
  • your BSB and bank account details
  • your original or amended notice of assessment from any one of the last five years
  • your Medicare card or number
  • your private health insurance statement showing your fund details
  • all of your statements from bank and financial institutions showing all interest your have received during the income yar
  • all of your PAYG payment summaries from  your  employer(s)
  • all of your statements from Centrelink or Department of Veterans Affairs (including details of any tax-free pensions or benefits)
  • all of your payment summaries from super funds
  • all of your dividend, super and managed fund statements
  • all of your foreign income details and pension statements or details of he amounts received
  • all of your employment termination payment summaries
  • all of your receipts for gifts, donations and work-related expenses
  • your details of child support payment made
  • your details of any losses on investments in shares and rental properties (net investment losses)
  • If you had a spouse – married or de-facto – at anytime during the financial year: you also need to bring to your appointment details of their taxable income, including any of their documents. We will need this information to complete certain labels on your income tax return. If you cannot find out your spouse’s exact taxable income, the Tax Help Volunteer will help you make a reasonable estimate.

Please ring the Neighbourhood Centre for an appointment on 07 3204 2022